Cindy Goldstein lives in West Los Angeles and has been a member of Mishkon since she moved to L.A. in 1989. She is devoted to Mishkon and has served on many committees and the Board of Directors and has participated in many holidays and events in those three decades. She has been the High Holy Days Tzarina for eight years and a gabbai at Shabbat services for 25 years.
She is from Detroit, one of the largest suppliers of Mishkon members in the United States. She grew up in a family that loved cooking, baking and eating, and they were all thin. Her family belonged to a very traditional Conservative congregation, where girls never appeared on the bimah and could aspire only to Sisterhood activities, like food preparation. How far she’s come: Now she gets to do food preparation AND be on the bimah!
She went to college for 12 years, earning three degrees, none of which she uses in her main job as an administrator at the VA. She’s had a number of careers, including newspaper reporter and editor, research director, budget officer and journalism professor.
She is also devoted to chocolate and can be bribed with small amounts of high-quality bittersweet chocolate. Every summer, she spends a week in Stratford, Ontario, at the Shakespeare Festival, where she’s been going since she was 10.
She loves hot, humid weather, which she believes is sadly lacking in L.A. However, having lived for many years in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Iowa, she is happy never to move again.
Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Executive Committee Officers:
- Cindy Goldstein, President email@example.com
- Itai Klein, Vice President firstname.lastname@example.org
- Russell Schwartz, Vice President email@example.com
- Sol Ortasse, Treasurer firstname.lastname@example.org
- Johanna Schmidt, Secretary email@example.com
Board of Directors:
To contact a board member, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carol Felixson
- Murray Kalis
- Michael Kirschbaum
- Suzanne Levy
- Ira Schreck
- Roz Silver
- Roberta Tishman
- Immediate Past President Melissa Tarsky
To contact a committee chair, please email email@example.com.
- Adult Education – Phil Bell
- Barbara’s Book Club – Rena Panush
- Chesed Team – Donna Malamud
- Building & Grounds – Johanna Schmidt, Spencer Rosenheck
- Communications – Carol Felixson
- Fundraising – Ira Schreck
- Holidays – Erica Klein
- Membership – Murray Kalis
- Preschool Liaison – Itai Klein
- Religious School Liaison – Michael Kirschbaum
- Social Action – We need you!
- Tephila – Jeff Gornbein
- Webmaster – Office Staff
Shabbat Coordinators are responsible each week for assigning honors such as aliyot, scheduling those who volunteer to lead parts of the service, and dealing with special requests. There is a different coordinator each Shabbat and holiday. If you would like an honor or wish to lead a part of the service on a particular day, contact the coordinator for that day. If you have scheduled an honor and would like to reschedule it, the coordinator for that day is the best person to contact.
Please contact Jeff Gornbein at the main office at (310) 392-3029 with questions. Click Here to View the Current Shabbat Coordinator Schedule.